Volunteer Experience, Volunteers

What Should I Know When Reserving a Camp Property?

You’re ready to take your troop to one of our camp properties for some Girl Scout fun and adventure. You’ve got your calendar of open weekends all set, enough Girl Scout approved adults to meet ratio, a general idea of fun activities to do, and now it’s time to reserve a site. Need some help figuring out how to reserve a property for your troop event? No worries, we’ve compiled some frequently asked property reservation questions and answers to help you out. Happy troop camping!

What’s available at our camp properties?

Girl Scouts of Western Ohio offers many opportunities for girls to enjoy camping. The council has six properties with hundreds of acres throughout western Ohio available for camping activities. Each camp has a unique outdoor setting and has been developed with a particular type of camping and set of activities in mind. Whether you want a rustic, back-to-nature experience or all the comforts of modern amenities (and indoor plumbing!), we have the perfect location for you.

Our camps are available throughout the year for members to enjoy—you can host a retreat, camporee, workshop, or special event!

You can find more information about what each camp has to offer on our website under Our Properties. Or check out the Property Reservations section of the Program Event Guide (pg. 6-7) and our post What Can Your Troop Do at GSWO Service Centers and Camps for an overview of what’s at each property.

How do I reserve a property?

We encourage our members to reserve properties online using Doubleknot. It’s faster and easier for you, less expensive for the council, and it’s green! If you get stuck during the reservation process or need help talking through the reservation, you’re always welcome to contact the Customer Care Team at 888.350.5090 or customercare@gswo.org!

How does Doubleknot (reserving online) work?

You can find our online property reservation system, Doubleknot, on the Council Properties section of gswo.org. Once you’re in Doubleknot, find the camp or program facility you would like to reserve from the options at the top of the page. Then choose the category or site you would like to reserve under “Category.” Check availability using the calendar and when you find the facility and site on the date that you want, click Reserve and follow the prompts. You’ll need to pay for your reservation at this time with a credit card and then will have the option to print out or save your confirmation.

What Girl Scout training do I need to complete before using a camp property?

Before reserving a lodge at a Girl Scout property, at least one troop leader or assistant must complete Lodge Camp Training. This course was designed to prepare volunteers who work with young or inexperienced Girl Scouts to lead them on their first overnight camping experience in a lodge. There are several options to complete this training available:

Before reserving a tent or other outdoor camping unit at a Girl Scout property, at least one troop leader or assistant must complete Troop Camp Training. This training helps participants plan, implement, and evaluate a camping trip with girls and understand the safety standards and guidelines for camping and related outdoor activities. You’ll develop skills to be used and taught to girls, ensuring a positive, fun. and safe outdoor experience. Options for this training include:

  • Overnight Course
  • Two-Part Course
  • Troop Camp Training

To register for Troop Camp Training, head over to Activities and search for Troop Camp Training!

What’s the cancellation policy?

Full refunds are available for reservations cancelled more than 30 days in advance.

When does my overnight reservation begin?

Check-in at camp properties is at 3:00 PM with check-out at 2:30 PM the following day.

When do property reservations open?

  • Fall property use (September 1 to December 31) opens on May 1.
  • Winter/Spring property use (January 1 to May 31) opens on September 1.
  • Summer property use (June 1 to August 31) opens on March 1.

Are our properties closed for any holidays?

All Girl Scout properties are closed Wednesday through Sunday of Thanksgiving week and December 24 through January 1.

Which sites require a certified instructor?

There are activities and sites at our camps that require certified instructors or lifeguards to use. Some examples are the archery ranges, low and high challenge courses, zip lines, and climbing walls which all require certified instructors and our pools require a certified lifeguard. For more information on what type of certification is required to use these sites, please review that activity in Safety Activity Checkpoints.

Got a question we didn’t answer?

Contact Customer Care 888.350.5090 for more information about council properties or with questions regarding a facility’s overnight usage or amenities, including High Ropes Course, Zip Line, Climbing Wall, or Primitive Camping.

Leave a Reply